Saturday, February 12, 2011

Trust Issues; Snowblowers and Debt relief agencies

I admit it.  I have some trust issues.  There are some things with which I have just not been able to become comfortable.  The first is the snowblower.  Especially this morning, I am dreading this lack of trust.  My driveway is covered in snowpack, and it means that I will be spending hours clearing it with the shovel and ice chipper.  There are ways to define my resistance to snowblowers in a positive light.  Growing up on an Iowan family farm, I was no stranger to hard work.  Some Saturdays were entirely spent scooping...and not snow.  Some weeks were spent throwing hay bales.  Although I may not have felt it at the time, I now look back fondly on those days.  When your muscles are sore and your body is tired, you know you've had an honest day's work.  There may be a little stubborness in that distrust as well.  In any event, this afternoon, around 3:00 or so, I am going to tackle the snow and try to clear the driveway.  And really, though I may sound like a glutton for punishment, I do look forward to it.

     On a more serious note, however, I have a severe lack of trust for debt relief and tax relief agencies.  Having spoken with numerous folks that have used credit relief agencies,  the generalized facts seem to be this: person contacts debt relief agency, begins paying substantial amounts of money to the company, and is surprised to learn after several months that the agency has done nothing for them but take their money.  Some of those folks are then surprised to learn that they cannot get their money back without a fight, and, because it is an out-of-state entity, trying to get back their money may seem too hard and too expensive.  If you are my client, I will strongly urge you away from consulting those agencies with one exception: Consumer Credit of Des Moines.  As I tell my clients, and those considering filing bankruptcy, if you want to try something else first or it makes sense to do so, you could have me try to help you negotiate with creditors.  Another cost effective option may be to go to Consumer Credit of Des Moines....but don't go to any other debt relief agency.  I have no business relationship with Consumer Credit of Des Moines and receive nothing for making that recommendation.  I say this because it is a business in Iowa, and I have never heard the stories about them that I have heard about others.  So if you want to try debt relief agencies, please do not call the toll free number on the TV unless it is Tom Coates in one of his zany commercials. Here is the website:   http://www.consumercredit-dm.com/  If you have tax problems, pay a local accountant to help you.  Their fees may likely be no more than the tax relief agencies' fees, and even if they are, they are local and thus more easily accountable for their actions and accessible to you.  I hope you can share my distrust of these agencies.  If you have had an experience with one of these agencies that is positive, I would be interested to hear it.  

Please enjoy your Saturday while I work on my trust issues by chipping the driveway.
http://www.jacksonlawiowa.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment